- Write to the involved parties. Some excellent lists of names and addresses have been compiled here and here. (Wisconsin residents should especially write to their local senator and representative!)
- Sign the petition.
- Take part in the Save the Mounds rally in Madison, WI on 12 January 2016.
- If you can't come to the rally, you can still participate in the social media blast.
MY TAKE ON THE PROPOSAL:
Wisconsin burials are being threatened by the proposed Bill LRB-2890/2015 Assembly Bill 620, an “amendment” to the current Burial Sites Act that turns the original intent of the act on its head. There is still time to make a difference, if readers like YOU contact your elected officials and the bill’s sponsors. Wisconsin residents, find your Senator and Representative here. The men behind the bill are Senator Chris Kapenga (District 33) and Representative Robert Brooks (District 60).
- Wisconsin State Journal article
- Official Bill 620
- Comparison of existing vs. proposed changes
- Response from Wisconsin Archaeological Survey
- Save the Mounds
- Ho-Chunk Nation Facebook page
- Effigy Mound Initiative Facebook group
- Ancient Earthworks Society of Wisconsin Facebook group
- WisconsinHistory.org - Human Burials, Mounds and Cemeteries and State Law